Sunday, September 9, 2007

Yesterday I had an enjoyable and educational day at the 1st Heritage Harvest Festival at the headquarters of Monticello’s Center for Historic Plants near Charlottesville, VA.

Taste tested at least 30 different tomatoes and several tofu dishes, bought heritage red bell pepper seeds, attended lectures and received free Botswana Blackeye seeds. I learned how to grow beneficial plants which support beneficial insects and lure bad insects thereby protecting my garden, how to maintain a winter vegetable garden, with spinach and lettuces, etc., and how to save and store seeds from my favorite plants.

Thanks to Dr. McBug (www.drmcbug.com) I learned that I was killing the beneficial insects (parasitic wasps) in the small white coccoons while killing the catterpillars (see previous post).
For more info about this and similar plant events visit http://www.heritageharvestfestival.com/ and www.monticello.org/chp/ .

No comments: